When a tooth has a cavity or damage that requires changing its appearance, shape, size or strength, dentists use a dental crown, which looks like a regular tooth.
Crowns get cemented into place, completely covering the portion of the tooth above the gum. When a crown is properly created, no one can tell the difference between that and a real tooth. At Dental Care Princeton, we pride ourselves on creating crowns that appear and feel like a real tooth.
There are a few typical reasons people need crowns:
- Protect crumbling or weak teeth from further damage
- Repair teeth that have been worn down by excessive grinding
- Replace damaged, old fillings when a new filling cannot be used
- The visible portion of a dental implant
- Support dental bridges that are replacing absent teeth
- Replace misshapen or discolored teeth